Monday 6 February 2017

Kiotani

Four years ago, during my very first weekend in Kenya, I stood on a dusty piece of land in the middle of nowhere, hot, sunburned, thirsty, and waiting for a piki piki driver to bring a tire for Mary’s broken down car.  Having met Bee and the Sponsors for Kenya girls a few days before, I was well aware of the dream they envisioned for the land.  “A sanctuary for children,” Bee told me.  “I don’t want them to be institutionalized.  I want them to have a childhood because in the slums, you have to grow up so fast.”  I deeply admired her enthusiasm and determination, but in that moment, was unsure if it could be done.
However, for the next 3 months, Positive Life Kenya showed me that of which they were capable and those initials feelings of doubt were quickly blown away.  As an intern, PLK immediately got me involved in home visits, group counselling, educating women on their sexual health, and in helping to secure sponsors for children.  During my time, I learned how important it is to get children out of the slums and to a place where they can sleep knowing someone will not attack them.  A place where they can go to school without trekking miles along a dangerous highway.  A place without constant interruptions in their schooling.  And most importantly, a place where they will be empowered.  In those 3 months, the PLK staff also helped to foster my own dreams for what the organization might become and how I could become a lifelong partner with them.  

Since leaving Kenya, I have spent the past four years in medical school, however, if you’re reading this blog, you know that I have actually spent the last four years talking about PLK and dreaming of the day I could finally return to work with this amazing organization.  Last weekend, I finally returned to Kenya and the first place I visited was Kiotani.  I have followed along on Facebook, but the magnitude of what has emerged on that dusty piece of land cannot be communicated through the internet.  Watching the buildings of Kiotani appear in the distance as I bumped around in the back seat of the car praying once again that we wouldn’t get a flat tire, I realized that the dream has in fact become a reality.  

This past weekend was the official inauguration of Kiotani.  We took a group of kids form Tuamini (the day school PLK runs in Kicheko slum) out to join in the celebration and I have to say, I have never seen happier children in my entire life.  Many of these kids have never seen a place where they can run around without fear of landing in a trash dump or on rusty metal.  There is a swing set out at Kiotani which, to the Tumaini kids, is a complete novelty.  The kids from both Tumaini and Kiotani prepared songs, dances, poetry, and skits to entertain all of the guest.  Despite many interruptions in their education and an often non-traditional path, these children are smart, enthusiastic, creative, and driven.  Each performance was better than the next.  Four girls wrote and recited a poem about AIDS which again, showed how fleeting childhood is in this community.  Their understanding is vast and the impact of HIV on this community is felt very deeply.  


We also got to plant trees with the kids that board at Kiotani.  Each child will be responsible for their tree.  I planted an avocado tree with Simon, one of the boys I met last time I was here.  He is one of the five boys cared for by my first host, Kate “Mwikali” Watson.  I cannot begin to express how meaningful that moment was for me.  

At the end of the day, I sat waiting for our matatu to take us back to Mlolongo.  I watched kids playing on the swing set, undisturbed by the dust and hot sun, and listened to so much laughter.  It was the best medicine and provides such perspective on life.  I have a lot of change coming and many things I cannot control but watching these kids, who have nothing and have faced unspeakable horrors, laugh and play in the middle of vast plains in Kenya, pushed me to reevaluate what really matters.  


There are many “next steps” in the growth of Kiotani and Positive Life but I have no doubt that they will accomplish them, especially with the help of all of the community and international partners.  I look forward to being an ongoing partner with this organization and group of people.  I also look forward to watching this organization continue to grow and affect change in this community.  Despite what seem to be insurmountable obstacles, Positive Life Kenya faces each day with passion and dignity and holds true to their mission of seeing empowered families living with hope in a positive environment someday free of HIV and AIDS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment