Wednesday 1 February 2017

Mambo, Kenya!

(I apologize for what is going to be the longest post ever... I promise this won't happen again!)

It took everything in me to keep from running down the ramp to the grinning faces of Mary and Cait at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport... well everything in me plus the 250 lbs of luggage on my trolley.  Of course, there were many happy tears on my part during our reunion.  

On Sunday morning, Mary, Daniel, and I drove out to Lukenya Hills where Kiotani, the school for orphans and at-risk children, has taken full form, thanks to help from Sponsors for Kenya and New Hope.  After the 45 minute journey across dirt paths where zebra and wildebeest lazily grazed in the burning Kenyan sun, the buildings of Kiotani appeared in the distance.  Last time I was there, it was a dusty 2 acre plot with no water and one metal sided hut.  





While at Kiotani, Mary pointed to a girl and explained that they brought her to Kiotani because she was the victim of rape at 5 years old.  Mary told me that the girl's mother died from AIDS shortly before she was attacked.  "Guess who it was, Megan," Mary said.  "Her father," I replied, without missing a beat.  Of course Mary nodded, surprised that I guessed so quickly.  It appears that I have picked up on a common tragedy, as she is not the first girl that I have met with this story.  I even shocked myself at the ease at which I figured it out.  

We picked Paige up from the airport that afternoon and stopped to enjoy a Tusker at Club Xenon, a truly wonderful way to introduce Paige to Kenya.  Mary and Daniel are full of questions about Trump and how America could have possibly elected this man.  It is important to recognize that Mary is terrified that Trump will defund US AID, which is how all of the women at Positive Life Kenya receive their HIV medications.  

Monday was our first day in the office.  I was reunited with Abby and met Anisia, the new social worker.  Mary, Cait, Abby, Anisia, Paige and I spent time getting to know each other discussing our backgrounds and what I have been up to for the past 4 years.  Mary explained to Paige more about PLK and I was amazed but all of the things they have accomplished and the drastic growth that has taken place within the organisation.  

We then toured around Mlolongo and visited brothel streets, that although quiet during the day, are the very foundation of the town.  Anisia was excited to have us along because so many women have medical complaints and there is a doctor's strike here.  Paige and I were very hesitant to use our medical skills at first but realized that there were many small problems with which we could definitely help people.  We had to explain very clearly that although we are in medical school, we are not full-fledged doctors yet and even in May, we will still have much training ahead despite having our MD.  Still, it seems wrong not to help with problems we so clearly understand.

In the afternoon, we went to City Carton, the worst slum in the region.  The homes are basically plastic bags on sticks. Picture the most dangerous living conditions imaginable.  Recently, the slum was set on fire at night to clear out the residents and move them farther back from the highway where wealthier people are starting to build new apartments.  Apparently that was the appropriate way to ask people to leave?  



On Tuesday, we visited Kicheko and Tumaini, the primary school run by PLK.  Agneta, the principle, roped us into teaching a class.  I "taught" Science.  We learned about clouds, the sky, and plants.  These kids are so smart and really interested in learning.  I think I did a pretty terrible job but we had a good time regardless.  Silly Mzungu.






No comments:

Post a Comment